Go Back   X2 Pandora Modproject Forum > Public Dev Section > English

English There are some topics, we're unsure, we want to discuss with the gamers.

Old 29.02.2008   #1
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gi
Default Pilots and Crew for hire

When discussing the possibilities and howto's of seizing pirates, we stumbled across the problem of the autopilot in player ships. That lead to the idea of pilots and crews to hire. The main argument for this was, that - especially in big ships - it's unrealistic that the player can manage everything all alone without additional help.
But if the player ships do have real pilots, they should be able to do more than a ship piloted by an autopilot.
I want to discuss in this topic, what difference a pilot and crew makes. My questions are:
Do we still need an autopilot?
What advantage do pilots and crews actually provide? At least they want to be paid ! ( I had suggested that ships flying with an autopilot don't do evasive maneuvers when they're under attack - leading to rather fast destruction of the ship).
How do we realize all these things?
Where to hire the crew and pilots (Dagobert suggested a "flight school")?
Chris Gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01.03.2008   #2
Gravemind
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Gravemind Send a message via Skype™ to Gravemind

I think... that if we use crews for ships we need a maximal number of crew members per ship. you can't have 16548 crew members in an m5 abilities... if you have a ship with autopilot it should only fly to goal positions. if you seize only... if you however seize with e.g. m3 nova, the other crew member (the one in the backturret) should fly with his space suit to the seized ship and take control. Then he should automatically fly to the next ship yard or equipment dock...
Old 01.03.2008   #3
Adlantis
X² Pandora Mod Team

Send a message via ICQ to Adlantis

Quote:
Do we still need an autopilot?
Yes, we definitly need an autopilot. Otherwise, the start would be too hard for new players.

Quote:
What advantage do pilots and crews actually provide? At least they want to be paid ! ( I had suggested that ships flying with an autopilot don't do evasive maneuvers when they're under attack - leading to rather fast destruction of the ship).
The autopilot should have only basic abilities. At the beginning it shouldn't be necessary to have pilots for your other ships. But has the game progress, it should be "advisable" to use them.

Quote:
Where to hire the crew and pilots (Dagobert suggested a "flight school")?
Why not? One could give 1-2 stations to each race where those crew members are manufactured. Perhaps they need resources (food, energy) etc..

Quote:
Do you mean technically or how to integrate that in the game, so that it fits all player?
Adlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.03.2008   #4
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Quote:
Quote:
Do you mean technically or how to integrate that in the game, so that it fits all player?
I don't believe this will ever please ALL the players. But with the realization as an AL Plugin everyone has the chance to adjust this to his/her liking. I meant the question rather technically, but not limited to techniques. It's also a call for ideas: what difference does a crew/a pilot make?

Quote:
The autopilot should have only basic abilities. At the beginning it shouldn't be necessary to have pilots for your other ships. But has the game progress, it should be "advisable" to use them.
Do you mean that skipping the evasive maneuvers is too harsh? How strong and how long evasive maneuvers last, can be affected by scripts. There's no need to abolish the evasive maneuvers but limit them. If there's a pilot on board the strength and duration can be better - perhaps gradually, if we want to integrate experience levels of the pilots.

Quote:
One could give 1-2 stations to each race where those crew members are manufactured. Perhaps they need resources (food, energy) etc..
I really like the idea of ressources.
We could do it without adding new station, similar to the AEGIS. But not by means of military transporters, where the personnel is available only briefly. It appears to me as a natural behaviour (after looking too many SciFi films) that unemployed pilots/technicians hang around in a bar on some stations and wait until they get a job.
Old 25.03.2008   #5
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

When I went through these postings for the translation, I came up with an idea.

How about the pilots get certain personal characteristics assigned: e.g. experience, expertise in dealing, expertise in fighting. The payment of the pilots depends on experience. A dealer (particularly if it is Teladi) negotiates a small discount, thus he gets goods somewhat more cheaply, but he can't fight well. A fighter can fight well, but is not good at trading. A fighter flying around in a trading vessel is disappointed etc..

If you're near a station ( < 5 km), you can go through the "applications" of the various pilots in the local bar by means of a new command, and you can hire a pilot, if you like what you see.
Old 26.03.2008   #6
Graceburn
X² Pandora Mod Team

Send a message via MSN to Graceburn

That sounds good, but what about a co-pilot for single turret ships or larger ships? a second in command that, maybe, say, follows you around at a safe distance while in small ships once you eject, so you can enter immediately, or to try and shake off an attacker while you man the rear turret, or in an M2,M6, or M1, to sit in the chair next to you at least, looking around the bridge, or out the windows, and possibly even pay attention to ships flying near the screen, or point at enemies that fly past, or start running comically around the cockpit, waving their arms in the air when the 'shields critical' announcment is made?
Old 30.03.2008   #7
SWAHILI!!!
X² Pandora Mod Team

I really like this idea.
I hardly ever use Autopilot, unless it's for one of my big cruisers that I'm not flying. I'd just command it to patrol 4 or 5 sectors, while I go trading.
I never use it in the ship I'm currently flying, I always dock manually, ect.
Maybe if this idea gets set in stone, they could be at the Headquarters station I thought up here, and maybe give that a specific name, such as Federal Argon Spaceport, or something like Free Argon Intergalactic Flight School, and offer these pilots for hiring, with some resources like energy, food, and water (I think we should actually make this into a tradeable ware, that can be sold at a specific station, i.e. Argon Water Processing Plant or something).
I think this would be a great addition to an already great game!
SWAHILI!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01.04.2008   #8
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

I just added a poll. This stuff needs some heavy scripting, we better start early, so I need a decision.
How to handle the different implications of the decision can be discussed following the decision.
Old 01.04.2008   #9
Graceburn
X² Pandora Mod Team

Send a message via MSN to Graceburn

it finally feels like the alpha release is near, getting excited!
Old 01.04.2008   #10
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Yep. There's still a lot of work to be done.

This poll aims more at alpha version 0.11 or later. But I think it's important to decide now, before we really start working on the scripting stuff. This idea emerged when discussing if attacked race pilots should leave their ship when it's badly damaged (like my enemies do from time to time). The original question was about the player ships, if their pilots would leave their ship, too, resulting in pirates capturing my ships and use them against me . I can't finish this 'capturing script' as long as I don't know how to handle player ships.