Go Back   X2 Pandora Modproject Forum > English Section > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Here it is: the long missed Off-Topic Thread

Old 04.08.2009   #1
reheat

Default Star Trek

Hey all,

I've noticed a few movie clips that seem to have star trek ships in them, but no real referance to the mod that has them.

Anyone know the mod, or has Paramont sued them to death yet?:blink:

Also, anyone know the maximum dimension of the jump gates? Does it apply for the gateless jumps as well?
reheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06.08.2009   #2
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gi
Default AW: Star Trek

You mean X2 mods, don't you?

I know Top Gun Mod has a few StarTrek ships. I've seen another mod dedicated to StarTrek, but I've forgotten it's name. It didn't look good anyway...

What do you mean by "dimension of the jump gates"? It's size? It seems there's no hard coded size limit, although bigger objects seem to cause issues with collision detection, especially out of sector...
I'm not sure you talk about size, because this has nothing to do with gateless jumps....
Chris Gi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Gi For This Useful Post:
reheat (06.08.2009)
Old 06.08.2009   #3
reheat

Default Re: AW: Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gi View Post
You mean X2 mods, don't you?

I know Top Gun Mod has a few StarTrek ships. I've seen another mod dedicated to StarTrek, but I've forgotten it's name. It didn't look good anyway...

What do you mean by "dimension of the jump gates"? It's size? It seems there's no hard coded size limit, although bigger objects seem to cause issues with collision detection, especially out of sector...
I'm not sure you talk about size, because this has nothing to do with gateless jumps....

Wouldn't want a ugly trek mod....yuk (hehehe)

Thanks for the top gun thingy, yes I was refering to X2, as I think that was the basis of the film clip which is why I asked here. You guys are the X2 Xperts as far as I am concerned.

As for the gates, has anyone found out what the max dimension/diameter of the gates are for a ship to pass through. I assumed it would be a collision detection issue. I don't suppose v ger could slip through.

If I make a custom ship and its twice the size/diameter of the M0, then it will go boom as it passes through the gate? I assume there must be some tolerance for aiming error as well.

As for the so called "gateless" jumps, they still ask for which destination gate to be selected. I assumed there would still be a collision issue at the recieving end. Is this not true?

I was contemplating making at some time a big round ball of a ship. No not a starwars fan, just a big ball as a sphere has the maximum volume for minimum surface area. There is a real engineering basis for a design like that. I just wanted to know how big I could make it. Kind of like the 2010 Space odesy ship or something similar.
Old 06.08.2009   #4
Adlantis
X² Pandora Mod Team

Send a message via ICQ to Adlantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by reheat View Post
Wouldn't want a ugly trek mod....yuk (hehehe)

Thanks for the top gun thingy, yes I was refering to X2, as I think that was the basis of the film clip which is why I asked here. You guys are the X2 Xperts as far as I am concerned.

As for the gates, has anyone found out what the max dimension/diameter of the gates are for a ship to pass through. I assumed it would be a collision detection issue. I don't suppose v ger could slip through.

If I make a custom ship and its twice the size/diameter of the M0, then it will go boom as it passes through the gate? I assume there must be some tolerance for aiming error as well.

As for the so called "gateless" jumps, they still ask for which destination gate to be selected. I assumed there would still be a collision issue at the recieving end. Is this not true?

I was contemplating making at some time a big round ball of a ship. No not a starwars fan, just a big ball as a sphere has the maximum volume for minimum surface area. There is a real engineering basis for a design like that. I just wanted to know how big I could make it. Kind of like the 2010 Space odesy ship or something similar.
Like Chris said, there is no real limitation on gate Size. However, Ship-Size is something different (as far as the AI is concerned...) If your ship's too big, the AI won't act "normal" anymore...
Adlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06.08.2009   #5
reheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlantis View Post
Like Chris said, there is no real limitation on gate Size. However, Ship-Size is something different (as far as the AI is concerned...) If your ship's too big, the AI won't act "normal" anymore...

I wasn't interested in changing the gate size. I was interested in the ship size limit through the gate.

What AI would be acting? This thing wouldn't dock anywhere, save perhaps a shipyard, and I'm not sure of that one. What AI are you refering to?
Old 06.08.2009   #6
Adlantis
X² Pandora Mod Team

Send a message via ICQ to Adlantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by reheat View Post
I wasn't interested in changing the gate size. I was interested in the ship size limit through the gate.

What AI would be acting? This thing wouldn't dock anywhere, save perhaps a shipyard, and I'm not sure of that one. What AI are you refering to?
Well, the thing in the game that controls the Movement of a ship that isn't directly controlled by the Player... I don't exactly know what would happen, I only know that it will act strange...

(sorry, as a someone who isn't a native English Speaker, I can't really phrase everything how I mean it... )
Adlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06.08.2009   #7
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

X2 Xperts, hehe, sounds good. I think of us more of specialized idiots, who know their small corner of the X universe quite well.... but if it comes to other mods or how a certain script works, I'm always impressed of the knowledge others over at Egosoft forums have to say...

Well, one of the great mysteries of X2 is the exact point a ship jumps when passing through a gate. If you think of this visible swirl as a sort of "event horizon", no one can really tell what part of a ship has to pass the event horizon to jump. It's neither connected to the center of the ship, nor a certain percentage, nor the cockpit... it seems to be random to different models, but it's always the same for a given model...

Generally, a ship should not be bigger in diameter than the gate. So the best is to load the gate in your modelling program and to adjust the size of your ship to the gate. I've seen ships that are bigger than the gate passing through the gate without any problems while others pass in, but couldn't get out... If the model is smaller, than there wasn't any problem.

The issues Adlantis mentioned are connected to the collision detection inherent in the game engine. This thing has some weird effects if the object is too big. For example, we tried to make the ship wharfs bigger to better fit the big ships. This effort came to a sudden end, because the ships were no longer able to dock at the ship wharfs -they always kept flying around the station, finding a good position to dock, just to turn away a few hundred meters before the docking point, because they tried to avoid a collision.

But this should be no problem if your ship fits through a gate (as long as you haven't change the gate size ).

Load the gate and size your model according to the gate - thus everything should be fine (but there's no guarantee ).
Old 10.08.2009   #8
reheat

Quote:

But this should be no problem if your ship fits through a gate (as long as you haven't change the gate size ).

Load the gate and size your model according to the gate - thus everything should be fine (but there's no guarantee ).

I see said the blind man....

Something for me to play with. BTW I just finished the first pass through X2. Interesting finish. I had some problems with that big ship that was trying to zap the planet. Seemed a bit out of character that Julians buddy would have doner that. Why not just shoot it. Thats what we did to get back in the second time.

I know, that was what was in the script.

Interestingly, I had several ships covering me during that scene, and they kept ramming into me. I actually had to send them away just to get through that scene.

Other than playing the ecconomy, the game doesn't seem to regenerate enemies per se. I blasted a couple of Pirate bases to see if I could. That seemed to end their activity alltogether in that zone.

My guess is that the challenge to an add-on is the generating of the advesary, with user-believable story support. Cant use the main characters, as there are no voices or any way to script main character activities. I'm not sure I've seen ship messages made by any of the mods either, but I may be wrong.

BTW, don't worry about your problems with english. My German is by far worse. Your english is better than some Americans I've heard. American syntax and idioms can be a real bear for a second language.
Old 10.08.2009   #9
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Quote:
Other than playing the ecconomy, the game doesn't seem to regenerate enemies per se.
Mmh, there is a setting for "Respawning Pirate Stations". If it's on, the blasted pirate stations respawn on other places (with a certain lag).

Quote:
I'm not sure I've seen ship messages
What do you mean by that? What ship messages?
Old 10.08.2009   #10
reheat

Quote:
What do you mean by that? What ship messages?
The messages that come into your ship while you are flitting around. Most were confirmations of the dialog pieces in the game.

I was just saying I haven't seen that, but that doesn't mean much as I have avoided the mods for the moment till I can play a vanilla round. I wanted to see the game in the raw first, so to speak.