Go Back   X2 Pandora Modproject Forum > English Section > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Here it is: the long missed Off-Topic Thread

Old 29.07.2012   #1
Xarian

Default So.. there is life still in the X2 universe?

Greeting's

I recently reinstalled X2.. yada, yada, yada.. im lost now in a world of modding the thing when i was supposed to be taking a break from modding another space sim.. figures..

I've been hanging out with the tumbleweed on Ego's forum.. spent about 3 weeks loosing hair and tons of sleep trying to understand it all, figured most of what i want to do out but i still have the odd question.. and i really don't want to bug that tumbleweed.. he looks a bit grumpy

I suppose im bored now and a bit lonely.. i would have thought the party still rockin but i came to late (i was next door.. playing with there toys..) so im sending a big HIA! to anyone here still modding X2 (obviously you are.. and that makes me happy someone is)

I basically started moding X2 to get my head around displacement maps.. something my other game/mod has coming up in the near future (were getting an engine overhaul.. slightly..) anyway.. having worked out X2's rather simple but annoying texture scheme (be nice if i could ad a few more.. oh well) i played around a bit.. then a bit more.. dll'd countless gfx mods.. got lost in it all.. came out with a sweet looking (for me anyway.. lol.. opinions can differ) mod.. of sorts then started riping ships from this and that... yeah i got bitten pretty hard by the modding bug. This "thing" ive built is just for me.. & wont ever see the net, so no need to give me the permission speech.. lol.. i know all to well having sent 3 years hunting model makers for permissions is like.. id dread looking for X2 model makers.

Anyways.. i guess my point is to say Hi.. and i can mod, maybe that helps.. lol maybe that don't but im putting it out there none the less.. there's still a ton of things i don't understand fully.. as i haven't done them yet, I built this thing on Topgun (couldn't live without it.. to be honest) so there's a few things that are "normal" to me that are not basic game stats.

I'm just glad (gee can you tell..) there's folks still moding.. and not just basic scripts and a texture or two i mean really modding X2
Xarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29.07.2012   #2
Guennie1568
Meister der Töne

Location: Sol System (real), Aladnas Hügel (X3), Ringo Mond (X2 und XBTF)
Send a message via MSN to Guennie1568 Send a message via Skype™ to Guennie1568
Default AW: So.. there is life still in the X2 universe?

Hi

Welcome at our forum for X2 Modding
Here we make a very large X2-MOD, not only some scripts or textures.
Here we have much more new stories, plots, audio and so on...
If you had read the X2-Pandora-topic in the ego-forum, you already have an idea, what we do here.
And feel free to help us wherever you can and want
Besucht doch auch mal dieses Projekt. (hat nichts mit x zutun)
Guennie1568 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guennie1568 For This Useful Post:
Xarian (30.07.2012)
Old 30.07.2012   #3
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gi

Hi there and welcome at our forum.

Yeah, X2 modding is pretty dead except for a few mods still in development. Well, theres's X.P.D, but this one seems to be stuck, Vorlon mod that's only available in German language - and of course our "little" project.

I think, we know quite a bit about modding X2 - and of course about all those little things that can't be changed. For example that stupid restriction on textures...

Depending on what you want to do, we can give hints and tips on the modding process, how to use dbob etc. But of course we would like to invite you to join if you're willing to be part of a greater project...

Anyway, once again, welcome fellow X2 modder
Chris Gi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Gi For This Useful Post:
Xarian (30.07.2012)
Old 30.07.2012   #4
Xarian

Default Re: So.. there is life still in the X2 universe?

Thanks for the warm welcome

Yeah.. dbob and other related tools.. that's "next" on my list, I've got 100's of models here from previous projects.. some that you just can't get anymore or were never released (i was wise.. made a few friends lol) i'd love to get some in X2 as some would fit really well.. others not so well.. but they'd look awesome.. I'd be more than willing to extend that usage persision to you guys, I've done my research lol & your about all that's left, For a hand in the process of converting them... but thats at least a month or two away..

I learns quick though.. i'd actually know what to do if the info wasn't going in 3 directions, I own Milkshape (usefull for converting hopefully) and have Gmax installed as well as almost every other Free Modeling proggy available but not Max.. as i've only ever really wanted to convert meshes.. not make my own.. i cant model a brick lmao.. but i can fix a dodgy poly or two and retexture.. even make my own textures.. if i have to but i hate that process as im never happy..

Anyways.. thanks again, nice to see faces/names here whom i've enjoyed reading old Ego posts from (and have leart a bit already from you guys) I'm sure i'll give a shout when i go to far and Ospreys start falling from the sky, or if i see something here i can help with too i'll let ya know

Oh and.. i know your probably thinking this, as i've read stuff here already.. but my script-fu is kinda weak... i can alter scripts to my means.. cheat my bum off and all that.. but my understanding of the language is basic.. this may change as im scripting more.. but i'd rather hardcode something (like ship spawns, ect.. basic stuff thats asked for) into a map.. that i understand lol. I am however palying alot with Exscriptor and ingame setups.. but i was looking for a conflict.. im probably more useful to you guys as a dugbuger to be totaly honest. Working with Freelancer you can only imagine some of the right doozy's ive found and fixed (thats a very, very temperamental engine that..) X2's code is rock solid in comparison.. no stock bugs that only pop up if conditions A meet X when the wind blows slightly southward kinda stuff.. it either works.. or it don't lol.. i like that.

Thanks again, off to give them Pirates a Sulaco... I know that's bad... but i just cant help myself
Old 30.07.2012   #5
Shadow dream
X² Pandora Mod Team

Send a message via MSN to Shadow dream Send a message via Skype™ to Shadow dream

There comes another welcome from my side

I think/hope noone here is agains helping hands. It's good to know that you have some more or less basic knowledge on things we work on. Don't worry, if you have questions, feel free to ask

Sound recording: Ask Guennie
Scripting: Ask Chris Gi
Moddeling: Ask me
Texts: Ask 4of25

Can we have a look at those models of yours? In gmax if possible?
I'm looking forward to see them

Shadow

Mein Lieblingsradio und die Playliste dazu!
Code:
       |  |
   /)/)|  |(\(\
  (-.-)|  |(-.-)  
 ("")<)|  |(>("")
""""""""""""""""""
Shadow dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30.07.2012   #6
Xarian

Most of them are in .mod format.. as at the time i was converting bridge commander (and that other startrek game,, i forget) models from Outalance.. that's not the ones im talking about though lol, but thats what i was doing at the time.. the rest are either in .3ds or .obj .... if that's fine i can send them soon, i just need to find them there in a folder with 100's of other models.. lmao.. i thought i was done with em and stored them with the rest, wont take long once i remember what they were called.

There in filenames like ex45a.zip and so forth (just made that up) but at least i know there not the ones that say "klingon_ cruiser.zip" hehe

I'll upload them in the next few hours them PM u a link
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xarian For This Useful Post:
Guennie1568 (30.07.2012), Shadow dream (30.07.2012)
Old 31.07.2012   #7
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gi

We decided to use only original models, i.e. models we created ourselves. The models you're talking about are models from other modellers, aren't they? What do you mean by "extending that usage permission" to us?
Chris Gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31.07.2012   #8
Xarian

It's a silly thing really, but what i mean is if you were to use anything, and the original owner spots it and asks how you got that model.. all you'd have to tell them is where you got it and they'd be fine with that.. that's all i meant, the models im talking about are from good friends. not just random ppl ive met on the net

And im just sending them and all that jazz to see if they "could" be converted.. is it viable? how hard would it be and that stuff. I expect absolutely nothing.. im not like that, I've dealt with folks that are.. and i'll never be that guy.. im just sharing stuff