Go Back   X2 Pandora Modproject Forum > English Section > Discussion of Pandora related stuff

Discussion of Pandora related stuff Here's the place for your questions, or for discussion planed features of Pandora

Old 16.07.2009   #21
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gi
Default AW: Sector randomization

I'm not sure this will work - I haven't tried this yet, but didn't someone over at Egosoft said, the game will not accept changing the notoriety for race Khaak? I've read this somewhere....

Quote:
The one issue here is however, you will always start off in Argon prime
This can be easily changed. When you're back, I'll show you how to do it.
Have fun meanwhile!
Chris Gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16.07.2009   #22
Lord Dakier

Default Re: Sector randomization

Thanks Chris

If the Khaak will not accept being a friend to the player I guess we will have to pretty much change the ownership of everything that spawns as Khaak to Race 1 [Friendly Khaak] Soon as a Khaak ship spawns we hopefully could use an AL Plugin to change its race but keep its current orders.
Old 18.07.2009   #23
reheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dakier View Post
Thanks Chris

If the Khaak will not accept being a friend to the player I guess we will have to pretty much change the ownership of everything that spawns as Khaak to Race 1 [Friendly Khaak] Soon as a Khaak ship spawns we hopefully could use an AL Plugin to change its race but keep its current orders.
Sounds like it might be easier to set Khaak spawn rate to zero, then create an new race to emulate khaak, new ships to emulate their ships. I suspect that Egosoft took numerous shortcuts in coding and eliminated any chance of co-opting the khaak and their ships. The khaak ships are not really ships. They just act like ships for the game purposes. Even if you could get one, there would be nothing to get into to fly around in.

I'm starting to look at the code base. The dev site egosoft set up is a decent start. I've got lots of details and such to catch up with here. I assume all of you guys are experts.
reheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18.07.2009   #24
Adlantis
X² Pandora Mod Team

Send a message via ICQ to Adlantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by reheat View Post
Sounds like it might be easier to set Khaak spawn rate to zero, then create an new race to emulate khaak, new ships to emulate their ships. I suspect that Egosoft took numerous shortcuts in coding and eliminated any chance of co-opting the khaak and their ships. The khaak ships are not really ships. They just act like ships for the game purposes. Even if you could get one, there would be nothing to get into to fly around in.

I'm starting to look at the code base. The dev site egosoft set up is a decent start. I've got lots of details and such to catch up with here. I assume all of you guys are experts.
Oh, Khaak Ships are flyable (atleast the small ones)
Adlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18.07.2009   #25
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Basically, all Khaak ship are flyable - except the M0 and the Clusters. But you can't undock from the Khaak M1....

The main issue with the Khaak ships is to get enough weapons. But the Khaak M3 was one of my favourite ships - it was slow, but deadly. Man, I have been hunting those M6 ships with the Bomber....
Old 21.07.2009   #26
reheat

Hmmmzz...

Going to take some time for me to get up to speed on this stuff. I'm still playing my first pass through the X2 vanilla mode....LOL

I DL'd the Dev package from egosoft. Hopefully I'll get to be useful at some point.
Old 29.08.2009   #27
Lord Dakier

The Khaak relation towards the player is hardcoded as with the Xenon. So creating a friendly race of Khaak is your only option.
Old 30.08.2009   #28
reheat

I am a bit curious about something here. I am just starting my first X3 game, and was curious as to why you guys are not using that as the baseline system. Is there some basic advantage to X2 over the X3 system? I like the graphics boost of X3, but some of the changes are not what I would have done in quite the same way. (just my opinion. I'm sure there are many that prefer it)

On the other hand I am also a bit surprized that Egosoft hasn't pursued the on-line version. EVE on-line has been hugely successful, and there are a scad of smaller offerings popping out around the web with a space sim theme. Ego has a web presence for an on-line site, but has never seemed to have the interest to follow through. Perhaps its just me, but I have had difficulty figuring out just what the Egosoft corporate vision, or direction is. I just noticed they seem to have snagged a "new" distribution partner. A rehash of Enlight. Hate to say it but it does't really look like anyone can buy the game from them. My guess is that Lombardi person is trying to become a distribution operation, as opposed to actual sales. He used his resume as the company description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dakier View Post
The Khaak relation towards the player is hardcoded as with the Xenon. So creating a friendly race of Khaak is your only option.
I thought as much. It shouldn't have been hard for Egosoft to have moved it out into the open tho, for devs to go after. Is there some reason its hard coded? They trying to protrect the story line, or just a short cut for their coders?
Old 30.08.2009   #29
Lord Dakier

The way I see it Egosoft don't care much about X2 even though this game is probably the one that started it all. If X2 was not so succesfull I do doubt X3:R would of been made as Ego are not really a big company.

X2 is just classical. X3's collision engine is terrible. I brought 2 Jags and one crashed as soon as it undocked. The X3 engine can not control anything quicker than 300ms. The OOS is broken in TC and sucks in Reunion.

Although there is more freedom to X3 it also has such bugs as those. X2's system does not require as much and is no where near as demanding as X3 and TC either.

Egosoft dont ease up on the hardcoded limits just so we will buy their next game which is easier to mod in some way or form.
Old 31.08.2009   #30
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by reheat
I am a bit curious about something here. I am just starting my first X3 game, and was curious as to why you guys are not using that as the baseline system. Is there some basic advantage to X2 over the X3 system?
I can't speak for everyone, so it's just my little bit.

Of course, the graphic system is much better in X3, and it has so many advantages over the X2 system. I love the planets, the many asteroids, the way the lasers fire asynchronously and so much more.
Scripting is also much easier than it is in X2, and there are a few extensions that I'm sorely missing in X2.

But despite this, the game lacks something - it just doesn't feel right. The ships (except Khaak) all look different from X2, as if 100 years have passed. And all stations look the same, you can't tell a Boron SPP from an Argon SPP...
I don't know how it sounds in English, but in German, the new texts of the board computer a spoken by a new voice while texts still available in X2 are still spoken by the X2 voice. Now you get a mix of voices when you target a certain object. I just sounds silly.
Also there is no internal docking, you no longer dock in stations but at stations. And there's no more cockpit. It feels like your sitting in your spacesuit on top of the ship.
What I'm trying to say: X3 lacks atmosphere, it doesn't make me feel like I'm there, inside this universe, inside my ship.

I've played every X game from X-BTF to X3:R (well, I never really played X3:R, I just keep starting the game and losing interest after a few hours).
Each game has its advantages and disadvantages. And X2 just has the best balance. And that's what I'm trying to do: to bring the best of every game to X2.

Of course, the same could have been done for X3. But it would mean much more work than for X2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reheat
It shouldn't have been hard for Egosoft to have moved it out into the open tho, for devs to go after. Is there some reason its hard coded? They trying to protrect the story line, or just a short cut for their coders?
I think, Egosoft just didn't expect that the community would do so much mods, and mods that would need some stuff. Well, I'm a programmer by profession myself, and I still can't tell what is needed to be open to others. You start developing and even if you think this might be useful if you can change it easily from outside the program, you can never tell if someone really needs it. You may think so, but noone will use it. Or you think, this will need noone, but as soon as you publish the program people starting to ask for an option.
And making something configurable can make the code much more difficult and more likely to contain bugs. Development time might be considerably longer, and this makes the software more expensive.