Go Back   X2 Pandora Modproject Forum > English Section > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Here it is: the long missed Off-Topic Thread

Old 13.07.2009   #1
reheat

Default Greets M8's

Hi all,

Was told you people don't bite, so should post something.

Here it is. Sorry if I have been quiescent since signing up, but I am new to the whole X universe thing. Just recently discovered the series, and started to play the base games.

Have to say I am amazed at all you people have done, but I am such a n00b here, I haven't gotten to the point of having much to say. I am just at the point in the X2 game to build my first factory. It just sits and flashes yellow in the window list of what is there. Not certain how to light it up as yet. he game and booklet isnt very forthcomming about requirements or proceedures, and I am looking for a pocket of time I can spend to devine the ops. All acient stuff to you guys here I am sure. Hate to say it but the tutorials in the game just sit and do nothing as well. A bit odd to me, but am sure I missed something.

I came across this site as I browsed the home site, and wanted to reg to make sure I had it for when I get to the point of running mods.
EDIT:
BTW, thanks for having me here.

Last edited by reheat; 13.07.2009 at 08:24 Reason: Doppelpost
reheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13.07.2009   #2
Adlantis
X² Pandora Mod Team

Send a message via ICQ to Adlantis
Default Re: Greets M8's

Quote:
Originally Posted by reheat View Post
I am just at the point in the X2 game to build my first factory. It just sits and flashes yellow in the window list of what is there. Not certain how to light it up as yet. he game and booklet isnt very forthcomming about requirements or proceedures, and I am looking for a pocket of time I can spend to devine the ops.
First of all, hi and Welcome to the Pandora Modproject Website

Second: Yellow flashing means that the factory needs resources to produce its Products... For Instance: If it's a Solar Power Plant it needs Crystals to produce Energycells...

What kind of Factory did you build?
Adlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Adlantis For This Useful Post:
reheat (13.07.2009)
Old 13.07.2009   #3
reheat

To be sure that is the problem. I haven't found where to buy transports for it, or how to assign them to a factory, or how to set up a trade route.

All I managed to do is transfer some cash to the factory.

Even the price setting seems to be arcane.

My only complaint about the game is the total lack of information within the game. Just buying the factory was a pain to set up and execute. lots of unmentioned details, all the while staring at red ribons listing factories you couldn't buy.

My only irritation was the in-game tutorials, which seemed to do nothing. LOL

I did have one question tho.

I got the strafe drive. Seems important for fighting. However....

Instructions say that you can move latterally while steering to your target.
On my system it cuts out the steering. If I am straffing, I slow to a stop. If I am steering, the strafing slows to nothing. I can't seem to do both at the same time, as it appears in many of the movie clips people have made.

I have an MS joystick, just like in the booklet, and I use the rt ctl and arrow key to strafe. It just seems one cuts off the other, and coasts down to nothing in short order. Not as useful as it would seem. Even some of the buttons on the joystick don't function as shown in the booklet.

See? I didn't post because it starts to sound like a list of gripes about the game, and I am actually enjoying ferreting out the various problems. It's just some problems aren't necessary. I can see where many people get frustrated.

I played a lot of Freelancer when it released, and it was a favorite of mine back then. I have heard X2 is like Freelancer on steroids. That is not very accurate. Freelancer never turned simple game tasks into game breaking puzzles.

As a n00b, my impression is that some people decided to make operating the game, as dificult as possible, as part of the game itself. I can't see how it wouldn't have driven many people off. I'm just a stubborn SOB myself. Thats why I am still here.

BTW did I mention that I am truely impressed with the community mods? You guys have done an outstanding job taking the game to the next level. I can't wait to finish the game in its basic playthrough, to start doing it with the mods.

Anyway, my gaming until recently had been S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and stalker clear sky, and fallout 3. Somehow I completely missed the X universe until recently. I don't do on-line gamming at all, but this X stuff has been a well kept secret, or I have been stashed in a box somewhere with the other mushrooms. A pleasant surprise to say the least. Sorry I wasn't around to lend a hand with some of the code work.
Old 13.07.2009   #4
Adlantis
X² Pandora Mod Team

Send a message via ICQ to Adlantis

Yeah, at some points X2 is really far more complicated than necessary...

There are many Tutorials and Guides for X2 around... And because I'm no good at explaining things you should try one of them... For example: The Commanders Space Station
Adlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Adlantis For This Useful Post:
reheat (13.07.2009)
Old 13.07.2009   #5
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gi
Default AW: Greets M8's

Yeah. welcome, reheat, to our forum.

First I have to admit: it's been so long that I actually played X2, I've almost forgotten everything about gameplay. So my description and advice is pretty bad...
The best place to get information about this is the Egosoft forums...

Anyway:
Quote:
Instructions say that you can move latterally while steering to your target.
This doesn't work for me either. I can either strafe or steer, bot not both at the same time. But I never experienced a slow down of my forward movement. Maybe your joystick doesn't quite work with the game? You should check your joystick settings in the starting window of X2. On what OS are you running X2?

Well, I never experienced such issues as you descripe them. Of course, some stuff is not quite obvious. But I had some experience from earlier X games....
What version of X2 are you running?
Chris Gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13.07.2009   #6
reheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlantis View Post
Yeah, at some points X2 is really far more complicated than necessary...

There are many Tutorials and Guides for X2 around... And because I'm no good at explaining things you should try one of them... For example: The Commanders Space Station

Way cool m8 and thanks. I am apparently up to section 8 (heh, go figure) and it's bugging me to get factories, even tho I have an energy factory (not yet functional)

I can see where you old timers eagerly awaited for all the updates and such. The mod for the X2 must have been a labor of love of the game.
Old 15.07.2009   #7
reheat

Default Re: AW: Greets M8's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gi View Post
This doesn't work for me either. I can either strafe or steer, bot not both at the same time. But I never experienced a slow down of my forward movement. Maybe your joystick doesn't quite work with the game? You should check your joystick settings in the starting window of X2. On what OS are you running X2?
Mine starts to coast down when I strafe, and when I stear again, the strafe starts to coast down. Perhaps your too efficient at killing the target to notice.

There are a few other keys not working, but I recently realized that perhaps my logitech mouse software may be intefering.

I'm not too worried tho. I do my vanilla playthrough, then a couple of mods, and I'll be ready for X3 Reunion.

A bit odd, tho. I spent about 15 minutes with X3, and noticed almost all of the controls were changed. Not swapped around, but many just do not do anything anymore. Not even a legacy setting in options. Was it that bad?