Go Back   X2 Pandora Modproject Forum > Public Dev Section > English

English There are some topics, we're unsure, we want to discuss with the gamers.

Old 28.03.2008   #21
Dagobert

I think "supergate" sounds like this: supergate - a huge gate for huge ships
So will our "supergate" be a huge gate for huge ships or a standard size gate for long distances?
Dagobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28.03.2008   #22
Graceburn
X² Pandora Mod Team

Send a message via MSN to Graceburn

i think a huge gate would stand out and draw attention, so i think it would be a good idea, but either make them really easy, or really hard to find.

edit: i looked at the pic, and think this size gate is a little too big, maybe ours could be around the size of four gates grouped together?
Old 28.03.2008   #23
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gi

I still don't know. We don't have (right now) huge ships. And I don't like creating ships that are too big to pass normal gates. But as I imagine this super gates, they ARE bigger than normal gates (I'm thinking of a factor of 1.5 - 2 ), and they use a different design: Two rings, one in front, the other at the other end, connected by some sophisticated technical stuff. The "event horizon" is within the ring at the far end. The two rings should be far enough apart to hold the biggest ship Pandora will use.
Chris Gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28.03.2008   #24
Graceburn
X² Pandora Mod Team

i think that idea would work great, maybe the ship could jump a little before reaching the last gate, making it look like it jumps in the center of the gate, o r it could be lots of gates, that rotate after one another, making the nacelles make a kind of swirling effect around the gates?
Old 28.03.2008   #25
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

These are only rough ideas, and a lot more is possible (like rotating nacelles). I don't know much how these gates really work, how to manipulate where a ship will jump and stuff like that. There is a lot of tests needed, and the model has to be made anyway.

And there's a lot more: these gates should be heavily guarded, maybe a fee should be conducted.... in which sectors should we put these gates?
Old 28.03.2008   #26
Graceburn
X² Pandora Mod Team

they'd have to be in home sectors, but maybe they could be in sectors next door, so traffic isn't congested in the home sectors, or they could be put in any sector with a shipyard. if a fee was to be charged, maybe you could buy 'supergate passes' that could be bought from a small station next to the gate, like a tollbooth, but how would people who just fly throgh be stopped?
Old 01.04.2008   #27
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Default Poll added

I just added a poll in the very first posting of this thread. It's time to get a few things decided.
Old 01.04.2008   #28
SWAHILI!!!
X² Pandora Mod Team

Maybe through scripting, it could be made possible that Military ships, such as Centaurs or Hydras, depending on which race's system you're in, would have to scan you for any illegal goods, or would it be possible to make it so that you have to have a specific ranking for that race?
Say for Argon, you'd have to be at least a Trusted Friend to go to that sector or something, or for the Boron, you'd have to be a Queen's Knight.
I think that would be pretty cool and realistic, but is it possible?
SWAHILI!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01.04.2008   #29
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

No, there's no possibility for a script to know the rank of the player. You could at the most check if the player's allowed to dock at stations.
The idea is pretty cool though, but unfortunately not possible.
You could make it so that Military ships scan the player ships for illegal goods, but I don't see any point in this yet.
But:
What can be done is make this depending on a 'mission rank': we can script our own missions, and create a special rank for the completion of these missions. This rank could be used instead of the standard race ranking, if we make it race depending.
Old 01.04.2008   #30
Dagobert

I think he means the player's notoriety to a race, eg. "Argonen Held der Föderation" (I don't know what this is in English)

edit: PS: I'd like to vote for yes and no
Dagobert is offline   Reply With Quote