Go Back   X2 Pandora Modproject Forum > Public Dev Section > English

English There are some topics, we're unsure, we want to discuss with the gamers.

Old 01.04.2008   #11
SWAHILI!!!
X² Pandora Mod Team

Can't wait!
SWAHILI!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01.04.2008   #12
Sammy
X² Pandora Mod Team

I am one of the two votes for "using autopilot from time to time". Without Jumpdrive, some distances would be really annoying if you can't say "Go to sector...". And in some (not many) cases a docking autopilot is quite useful. So I personally want to use the autopilot in my very own ship I'm right now flying. If every other of my ships hasn't one - no problem for me. As long as there are the pilots .

You may say: Autopilot usage only with supervision by the pilot
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.04.2008   #13
SWAHILI!!!
X² Pandora Mod Team

I agree with Sammy.
Even though I rarely if ever use the Autopilot, I'd still like to have it (like for when I actually play the storyline of X2, even though I've beaten it on Expert ten times ).

I also like what was said in the Jumpdrive topic, I believe, that talked about there being only 2 or 3 Jumpdrives in the universe, so that if you wanted to keep using autopilot for Jumpdrive, you'd have to keep the ones given to you by the stoyline.
Old 02.04.2008   #14
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gi

It's not the autopilot in the playership this question aims at. It's the 'Fly to...' and other commands of ships that belong to the player but where he's not in. The autopilot in the playership is dull. If I give the command (don't know if that's the correct name of the command) 'Move idle' in a pirate sector, the ship will fly around, no matter if pirates attack or not. If I give the same command to one of my ships where I'm not in, it will fly around, but if attacked, tries to evade, shoot back and so on. It behaves more or less the same way, if the pilot of the ship is named 'Julian' (autopilot) or if there's a named pilot in it as is the case with some advanced trade commands.

The idea behind this is making a difference between these two cases: the ship's autopiloted (pilot name 'Julian') or is piloted by someone I hired for this job (pilot name 'Saya Kho'). Because a hired pilot wants usually some money, we should 'convince' the player that it's much better to hire someone than to use an autopilot, which gets the same job done without being paid.
Chris Gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.04.2008   #15
SWAHILI!!!
X² Pandora Mod Team

Sounds pretty awesome!
Old 02.04.2008   #16
Sammy
X² Pandora Mod Team

For that I change my vote (once again) to: Yes, I can't do everything on my own...
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10.04.2008   #17
rhonkar
X² Pandora Mod Team

First crew should have experiences level!
Second : when they pilot they should be enough intelligent to know if they can fight or get the hell away.

I can do everything of my own, except using turrets on capital ships.

Also about the "resources", do you know that a meatstake is 500 kg of meat, you have enough food for about one year for one person!

And where to buy them, it could be interesting in a 'flight pilot station" but if possible we could buy them at different levels, and Equipement/trading docks should also propose to sell them.
Old 22.11.2008   #18
AmadanLegre

Default Re: Pilots and Crew for hire

Awesome topic! My own opinion is that it's kind of silly that we control our ships when you consider that even today most of the functions are handled by computers. Flight is a big one, and computers have handled it since the beginning of space flight. The accuracy needed in space travel is way beyond human ability. Accuracy of laser/weapon fire is another one where I think computers would be greatly superior. Even now the military is researching computer-operated guns/turrets for their obvious potential benefits. As long as the computer knows the distance and speed of the object, it'll bulls eye everytime (no atmosphere in space either). Those facts alone make it seem kind of silly that people would man turrets like in star wars when luke and han were trying to blast tie fighters. (If the computers suddenly crashed, it might be a good idea to atleast allow people to man a turret in case something like that happened.) However, if a computer did everything for you that would be boring. Space opera games they make it funner by getting us involved - almost like a roleplaying game.

I think an inbetween might be kool. One where humans and computers can help in someway. As humans, we're the ones making the high-level decisions, so we'll always be giving the ship a destination even though the ship might fly us there. We can also make judgements about who to fight and when to run. One thing more crew members might do is improve the speed of high-level decisions. For instance, do we attack this ship or not? Do we run? Where're we going? What do we do? I'm not exaclty how this might apply in-game, it's just a thought. When it comes to computers, there're many possibilities. Accuracy of weapons fire, command response time, command modules, many many. I'm intrigued by the idea of hacking modules added to the ship systems. There was a mod for hacking software somewhere, but I thought it was kind of kool. Since computers play such a large role in space flight, hacking command modules would probably be valuable tools. For example, you might use hacking modules to disable an enemy ships systems or to override them - perhaps even to capture the ship with the hacking alone - although you may have to first disable certain defense systems with weapon fire or specific command modules. For example, there might be a special shield against nefarious signals/communications - maybe it's the shield itself. The player may have to disable the shield generators or to disable the shields long enough to execute the hacking commands.

If anyone can think of some kind of high-level function that can be improved with more crew members that'd be kool. I'm trying to think of something. Perhaps crew members could also affect lower-level systems with respect to maintenance. Although I suspect that there will be technologies to replace people for these duties, it's not out of hte realm of possibility that crew members would have various maintenance jobs. For example, the turrets may require periodic maintenance to keep them in functional order, as will other critical ships functions - especially during combat. So it's not impossible that adding crewmembers might improve things like rate of weapon fire, energy reserves... Well, across the board improvements because most ship systems and the computers themselves are going to probably require maintenance of some sort. For example, if a turret overheats it might not aim accurately. If a computer overheats, it would also likely give you bad results. However, the improvements probably should be relatively small to keep it believable, but this might not always be the case in some circumstances - not all ships are created equal. Also, I don't recall whether ship systems can become damaged or disabled in x2, but more crewmembers might allow you to get those systems back online at a faster rate (maybe in combination with a basic repair system). As for higher-level functions, I'm still trying to think of something that isn't going to seem forced/tedious.l

I hope something here inspired and or helped in some way. I certainly have come away with a better idea how crew members might help as this has been on my mind lately. That's something I miss from the Derek Smart games.

Last edited by AmadanLegre; 22.11.2008 at 10:12
AmadanLegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22.11.2008   #19
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gi
Default AW: Pilots and Crew for hire

You're quite right, computerized autopilots are realistic. When the idea originally emerged, I was opposing it because of this. I think a setting like in Star Trek TNG is much more likely. Riker: "Evasive manouever Riker Delta", the Navigation Officer enters the command into his console, and the computer executes the actual manouever.

Since the person who originally came up with the idea hasn't been online for quite some time now, this idea is more or less dead - or at least in a deep slumber.

Quote:
Also, I don't recall whether ship systems can become damaged or disabled in x2, but more crewmembers might allow you to get those systems back online at a faster rate
No, this isn't possible in X2. I've been thinking about this feature for some time. Do you know the game I-War? I encountered damages to subsystems in almost every fight. If your thrusters were hit, you had a hard time - if your left thrusters were offline, but not your right, you were flying circles! And if your energy system failed, you could hardly do anything except dying...
All I came up up to now is to remove engine tunings, rudder optimasition, shields, weapon, and to add it again to simulate damage and repair. I haven't posted this idea yet, because it's still very basic and I was not sure, if anybody else would like it. But it seems you do. So:
Quote:
I hope something here inspired and or helped in some way. I certainly have come away with a better idea how crew members might help as this has been on my mind lately.
Thank you!
Chris Gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22.11.2008   #20
AmadanLegre

Default Re: AW: Pilots and Crew for hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gi View Post
You're quite right, computerized autopilots are realistic. When the idea originally emerged, I was opposing it because of this. I think a setting like in Star Trek TNG is much more likely. Riker: "Evasive manouever Riker Delta", the Navigation Officer enters the command into his console, and the computer executes the actual manouever.

Since the person who originally came up with the idea hasn't been online for quite some time now, this idea is more or less dead - or at least in a deep slumber.

No, this isn't possible in X2. I've been thinking about this feature for some time. Do you know the game I-War? I encountered damages to subsystems in almost every fight. If your thrusters were hit, you had a hard time - if your left thrusters were offline, but not your right, you were flying circles! And if your energy system failed, you could hardly do anything except dying...
All I came up up to now is to remove engine tunings, rudder optimasition, shields, weapon, and to add it again to simulate damage and repair. I haven't posted this idea yet, because it's still very basic and I was not sure, if anybody else would like it. But it seems you do. So:

Thank you!
Hmm. What can a crew member do that a computer or hardware system can't?

Your comment about Star Trek: TNG makes me want to watch some episodes again! I love/loved that show. Data was my favorite character, along with cheif engineer Geordi - that his name right? I doubt much of what is depicted is realistic/practical, but it's probably helpfull to the discussion. It's hard to take our 20th/21st century expectations/values/perspectives and to apply them to a 23rd or 24th century timeframe. Any and anything is likely possible at that point, but I still believe we can make some reasonable judgements about things. Our society will likely be much more computerized than it's now, and some kind of deeper relationship will have to form between us and our technology, otherwise we may find ourselves at odds with eachother.

Anyway you make me bring up the possiblity of a pause to high-level decisions. For instance, if you plotted a course via a fly-to command (as in, ryker has issued a destination or evasive maneuver), there might be a slight delay before the command is actually executed. This could be the time it takes for you or your crew to evaluate the choices made, and to enter the instructions. I am not sure I like that, however. It's not really offering anyting new or interesting, just slowing things down. I'm ok with that when something is bieng offered, but arbitrarily putting in a pause is not fun, and not appropriate, IMHO. I am trying to twist my brain every way I can to figure out how crew members might impact high-level choices in a more interesting way.

One thing that has been on my mind has been the logbook. Maybe crew members could offer you advice or information at periodic times. Although the computer could do this just as well, there're some players that might value this aspect of it for the roleplaying possibilities. I would like crew members with personality and for this to affect what they say and when. For example, there might be a method to communicate with your crew members by asking them questions. You might ask a crew member to gauge the threat level of an encounter. The crew member script might run through all nearby enemies, check their shields, hull, weapon loadout, engines, etc, and from there give you an idea what you're up against without you ever having to look at the sector map or having to bring up the ship information window manually. Furthermore, the conclusion that the crew member reaches might be affected by their personality and skill levels. For example, an aggressive crew member might underestimate the threat - too eager to enter into battle. A cautious crew member might consistently warn you against confrontation. Either way, it would atleast give you a quick summary, and it would be kool atleast the first couple times. I can't really thinik of anytihng crew members could do in the heat of battle in the way of the logbook, not without some kind of sound/music/voice. A player just wouldn't have the time to read the logbook during a dog fight. In addition to being able to ask crew members questions, they might from time to time share advice or stories in the logbook on their own time. Some of the comments might be humorous, others reflective, but the vast majority of them would be serious in nature. They could also offer you information about the universe, sort of like the sector map information you can find in the bulletins at stations.

All of that is aside from what I already brought up about maintenance work. I still think that crew members could offer an overall improvement to the ship because of their ability to perform maintenance. It might reveal itself in engines that recover faster or weapons that fire at a higher rate. It could affect most anything, even the computers. We all do maintenance work on our computers, with the viruses, defrags and whatnot, but the question is how much maintenance work will we be doing as a space faring civilization? Or better, how much would we do in the X2 Universe?? If there were virus command modules, right there I can see a solid reason for computer maintenance work. If you have a run-in with a pirate who hacks your computers and ruins them (even though you win the fight), you'll have to get them going again. You might have to purchase general repair kits or maintenance kits at stations, and some crew members might not have the skills to do certain work. I'm not exactly sure how it all might work, but I think it could work. I think some of these ideas have merit, in some way.

You mentioned ship repairs. I've known since the other day that X2 doesn't allow for an internal script instruction to edit your hull. That's sad! The possibilities you've layed out could suffice, and with work should be seamless during gameplay. It's all in how you it implement though. I think some kind of repair system is more involved and makes me work harder at being a good pilot/commander.

Are you aware whether or not you can change the settings of a weapon or system in real-time? For example, if a weapon is damaged during a dog fight, is it possible to change its rate of fire or accuracy? Can you replace it with a new weapon that is generated on-the-fly (in the script)? Or do all weapons /systems have to be pre-generated? I'm not yet at the stage where I know, but I've already made my first "hello world" script.

Last edited by AmadanLegre; 22.11.2008 at 19:23
AmadanLegre is offline   Reply With Quote