Go Back   X2 Pandora Modproject Forum > Public Dev Section > English

English There are some topics, we're unsure, we want to discuss with the gamers.

Old 13.02.2008   #1
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gi
Default Jumpdrive

I already brought this topic up back in the old forum, but I received only few responses, therefore I want again to put this topic up for discussion - and ask you to participate more active at this talk. Like: "We do want this" or "We don't want this"

The topic is about the abolishment or the limitation of Jumpdrive-use. If you progressed further in the game, you're just jumping across the universe. Distance does not matter anymore, the universe becomes -like somebody in the appropriate X3-Thread in the Egosoft Forum said- "a village". Partly I just relied on my jumpdrive to rescue my freighters at the other end of the universe.

The most annoying thing was, I could jump out of any dangerous situation, the AI did (afaik) nothing and just looked supid. And they never did the same if they were attacked.->Back to the old topic: Imbalance between Player and AI.

And the Jumpdrive is actually the best way to conquer a Sector. President's End showed that there is no effective defense against a fleet jumping into the sector with the jumpdrive.

In the AI-Plugin "Border Conflicts" one race tries to invade a bordering system of an enemy race. This was the reason why I came to this topic. I imagine the attack-fleet assembled in one sector and jumping as a convoy into the bordering sector. If you take human behavior on Earth as base, it's possible to describe their behavior in future. They'll set up Laser Tower defense at the specific gate to measure such an Invasion an eliminate any hostile ship that passes the gate.

With the Jumpdrive such a Defense would be useless, because you could attack through any known gate - and if you use the Mechanism of the Uni-Trader, you could attack even from the Sectors Centre.
With the Jumpdrive it's not understandable, why AI-Trader fly these Suicide-Missions through Xenon-Sectors.

Sure, we can't just abolish the Jumpdrive, because it is essential for the Khaak Missions (well, it isn't anymore because Gravemind connected the Khaak Sectors to the rest of the Universe in our map. One could just fly through the Sectors to the Target-Sector -without Jumpdrive. But this would require a whole fleet.) And the Universe Trade would need to be adjusted because he uses the Jumpdrive too. What cause me more worries are the XI, but we'll need to deactivate them anyhow because it would cause troubles with the "Border Conflicts". Who would want a Xenon Invasion if the Sectors is already under attack by a Xenon Invasion Force wich tries to conquer the Sector.
Chris Gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13.02.2008   #2
Gravemind
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Gravemind Send a message via Skype™ to Gravemind

Quote:
Sure, we can't just abolish the Jumpdrive, because it is essential for the Khaak Missions (well, it isn't anymore because Gravemind connected the Khaak Sectors to the rest of the Universe in our map.
Hehe

@Topic

I think we should activate the Jumpdrive just for the Khaak Mission. Because it isn't used directly during the Main-Plot in Vanilla X2. That's why I say: Jumpdrive 1 time Use for jumping In and Out...
Old 13.02.2008   #3
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Well, we can discuss later how it's technically implented. The easiest way would be just not to sell it anywhere. Than there would be only two Jumpdrives. The one in the Boron Hydra an the Reward Jumpdrive. That would be a really precious gift!
Old 13.02.2008   #4
Gravemind
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Gravemind Send a message via Skype™ to Gravemind

This Jumpdrive would be damn precious then. You mustn't sell this one. And it should be built into the right Ship...
Old 13.02.2008   #5
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Jep! I had been actually always annoyed by the gift. I deem the Argon Mercury and the SPP actually much more valuable gifts! This rating sure would - if we make that - change radically.

I do not know however, what the script command "create default items", normally used for equipping the ships, does - whether that adds the jump drive to a ship. With our own scripts I see no problem: we could always examine whether a jump drive is installed - if it is, it will be simply removed. But if someone uses other scripts...
Old 13.02.2008   #6
Sammy
X² Pandora Mod Team

To make the jump drive really rare - I like this idea. I like it veeery much. Perhaps we should change it so much, that the jump drive breaks as soon as the hull is scratched...
How about checking these scripts, users of our mod want to use, and change them if requested to be conform with Pandora Mod? Signed for Pandora - sounds good . Another possibility would be to check all player ships every 10 min (naturally not all at the same time ) for jump drives to get rid of...

Greeting Sammy
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13.02.2008   #7
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

If I read the postings in the Ego forum, I'm sure many players will miss the jump drive. Remember the demands after a "gateless jump drive" or a jump drive, which does not use energy. Thus I think many people will intentionally use some scripts to get the jump drive again. But you're right - we can offer a service that we check scripts, people want to use, and adapt if necessary. But first we'd need to change the scripts of the bonus pack as well as our own scripts. And the sector map must be examined whether any ship uses a jump drive.
Old 26.03.2008   #8
Graceburn
X² Pandora Mod Team

Send a message via MSN to Graceburn

There is a problem with this, though, what happens when the player's ship is damaged, and the jumpdrive is destroyed. Of course the ship usually follows after, but maybe jumpdrives could only be bought from the terracorp hq, or if the graceburn biotechnologies hq is put in the game, there as well, but at a much higher price, much more than the AEGIS even costs, and require ridiculous amounts of energy to use, and only certain sectors with specialized 'jumpdrive arrivals' gate, placed next to the north gate of important sectors?

As for the khaak being superior, why can't there be a game where the good guys are advantaged over the invading aliens, or are the invading aliens themselves, like in the game 'Genesis'
Old 26.03.2008   #9
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

What is Graceburn Biotechnologies HQ?

The whole idea is to get rid of the jump drive. If the jumpdrive gets damaged, too bad....
Not selling the jump drive anywhere is a radical idea, I know. But you can't manipulate the behaviour of the jump drive, the costs for jumps, where to jump and so on. Either there's a jumpdrive, and you can use it the way it is now, or there isn't. I can't think of something in between that could be properly handled.

But I like the idea of specialized gates, a sort of super gate as a replacement for the jump drive, spanning several sectors. Much bigger than normal gates, and heavily guarded...
Old 27.03.2008   #10
Dagobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gi
Depending on the decision, if we use super gates or not,
Why not?
Dagobert is offline   Reply With Quote