Go Back   X2 Pandora Modproject Forum > Public Dev Section > English

English There are some topics, we're unsure, we want to discuss with the gamers.

Old 13.04.2008   #1
Sammy
X² Pandora Mod Team

Default Super-fast Ships

Hi there,

I came up with another idea. As you know, the X-Universe has only military or trading ships. Tanks, Busses or Transporters. What about the civil ships, like, Porsche, BMW or something like that?

My idea is to make one or two super-fast ships, really goodlooking, but with some restrictions.
Structure:
speed: 10km/s
shields: 1MW
lasers: no
freight: 1 or 2 S (for the shields)
NO boost extension (don't know what's it called in english...)
fast acceleration (don't know a value right now)

As you know, high speed = high danger, not only for you but for others too. So there is a speed limit in every sector, let's say in those with much traffic 1km/s, in oters max. 2km/s. If you are trapped by a military ship, you will have to pay a speeding fine which height is calculated by your hourly profit, so it will hurt you.

BUT, as you know, there are always criminals. You can get at some stations (obviously these should be the pirates and/or teladis ) a signature-modifier to change your signature so the militaries won't get your ID and can't get your money - even better: they think it's somebody else, and this one has to pay the fine!

Military is not dumb. Evolution is to be adored. They got a solution, not quite the best, but good enaugh to track you down after a while. They have their data from their optical sensors. They get you again and again, if you are flying to often to fast. They get protests from pilots who have to pay an weren't to fast. AND they can decode your ID-change, if you are to long nearby military ships. And then, you wish, you weren't even born... Cause it will be really expensive and they will hunt you down if you don't give up your ship in addition to complete the punishment...

What do you think?
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13.04.2008   #2
rhonkar
X² Pandora Mod Team

I think that's not a bad idea, and what I find the most interesting it's the ID change
Old 13.04.2008   #3
Sammy
X² Pandora Mod Team

Sadly I cannot make it visible for the player. All I can do is to implement a new command with which you turn it on or off. You won't even see if it's turned on or off...
Old 13.04.2008   #4
rhonkar
X² Pandora Mod Team

Well I've just thought : there is also how expensive it will be.

BMW is rather expensive no?
Old 13.04.2008   #5
Sammy
X² Pandora Mod Team

Of course! It will be a luxus ship!
(Maybe a tribut to the abolished Jump Drive...)
Old 13.04.2008   #6
rhonkar
X² Pandora Mod Team

Of course, if there is no JumpDrive, it's gonna be my favourite ship! I'm gonna having to move a lot as an Industrialist!
Old 13.04.2008   #7
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gi

I have to admit, I don't really like this idea. The main reasons are:
- these ships are hard to steer (in the sense that the game engine can hardly handle them, I guess)
- I see no use in them.

But this is my personal opinion. I don't need to fly them. If you people want them...
Chris Gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14.04.2008   #8
Sammy
X² Pandora Mod Team

Hehe, Chris, I thought of that too... Else it would be a super-ship, and I don't want to create a super-ship. It should fit in the ecological niche with is free after the jump drive as the only really fast possibility to get from one point to another is abolished. You get in a sector, get your nose in the direction of the next gate you want to go through, and then you hope you don't need to correct the course
Would be one possibility to get from one end of the universe to the other without waiting hours! Some people want to be able to do that, although I myself don't see a need for that aside from the wish to not only steer your factories from far away but to see them in "reality"...
I just thought about the idea to get the triplex and duplex scanner out of the ship too so you can't discover the universe in an (imo) too fast way...
Chris, think of it as the BMW Z4: A pricy unnessecary, unpracticable car I love It's fast and "sporty" (you know what I mean), but nothing else... Oh - it's beautiful! I really want to have beautiful ship models for this ship type...
Old 14.04.2008   #9
Chris Gi
KorintenKacker

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Gi

Yeah, beautiful and sporty looking, arrow-like or something like that.

I thought about the 'visibility' of the 'ID-jammer'. It's not possible to make it visible, but we can make it audible: a special sound every now and then.
Chris Gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14.04.2008   #10
Sammy
X² Pandora Mod Team

That would be great! Maybe two sounds: one for starting the device, and one for deactivating it.

Oh, and if you start your device nearby a military you will be hunted down because they knew you with the old ID and now know you hav a new ID and therefor an ID jammer. (Quite a good name, btw.) Is it possible to start a video like "we are scanning your ship now." ?